Subject: Re: [Leica] something something and now animals
From: "Phil Leeson" <pjleeson@mchsi.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:34:10 -0600

Believe me, it's not quantity of life, but rather the quality that
counts- aka "QALY".
Quality-Adjusted Life Years...
I see nursing homes loaded with people waiting and hoping to check out -
the "celestial discharge".
If a few rats can help find a fix for the dementias, strokes, etc and
help avoid Nursing Home placement -- I'm all for it.
And I suspect more than a few list members are enjoying a better  life
post-angioplasty or CABG, or joint replacement - all procedures tested
out on non-humans first.
So, let's not just look at length of life but what we are able to do
with the all-to-short time we have.
Phil