Subject: [Leica] Complete loss of kit was: Stranded on an island with 2 Lenses
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 11:56:19 -0800

On 2003-11-02 wharting@adelphia.net (Bill Harting) thoughtfully wrote:

>On the news this morning someone who lost everything in the California fires
>was reflecting on what she would replace. What would you replace? Or would
>you upgrade? Or simplify? And what's the point?

If I lost it all...I'd have to think long and hard about what I would buy.

I really like my M's so I'd probably buy an M7 and a 35 f2, 50 f2, 90f2 to replace the lenses I use the most. I like lenses with the same aperture.

But I think I'd replace my SLR with a 1Ds. I love the 100 APO for the R8 but the digital back for the R8/9 just doesn't look like the real thing to me. Canon really "gets it" for digital photography as their bottom line shows. The Canon lenses are pretty darn good.

Of course I'd replace my computer with a dual-G5. Since my PowerBook is always with me I wouldn't have to replace it but if I did I'd buy a 17" G4 since my briefcase will handle it.

Adam