Subject: RE: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 10:34:43 -0700

> Of course, it might be gratifying to the photographer to think he had been
> lucky enough to get it just right without any direction at all,
> but this is
> not an internal property of the picture itself.
>
> A picture can never be the real thing, it is only a picture.

"I'll say this, I'm pretty fast with a camera when I have to be. However, I
think it's irrelevant. I mean, what if I said that every photograph I made
was set up? From the photograph, you can't prove otherwise. You don't know
anything from the photograph about how it was made, really. But every
photograph could be set up. If one could imagine it, one could set it up.
The whole discussion is a way of not talking about photographs.
You've got to deal with how photographs look, what's there, not how they're
made. Even with what camera. So what is really important is the photograph.
Not how I do anything. In the end, maybe the correct language would be how
the fact of putting four edges around a collection of information or facts
transforms it. A photograph is not what was photographed, it's something
else." Gary Winogrand