Subject: Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone
From: studio52@fastmail.fm
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 14:09:28 -0500

On Wednesday, November 5, 2003, at 11:43  AM, Rob Appleby wrote:

> Surely you can do something and also think about it critically?
>
> -- Rob

Thinking is entirely possible! Before or after the doing. My view is
nothing happens until the doing and I applaud the doers. Everything
prior to the doing is fundamentals, practice, or theory—craft—and
everything afterwards is interpretation. Art occurs where the shutter
is released.

I once was a painter and for me the first stroke defined the painting,
the Decisive Stroke as it were. I could never recover from a bad first
stroke, the energy was lost and the painting would become ordinary. Did
I think about the first stroke, absolutely not! I see that corollary in
photography..jf