Subject: RE: [Leica] OT: "Directed Photography" (ie. phoney journalism) article URL
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 13:34:25 -0700

> overview nevertheless.  On "part 4" there are also background details
> on Ruth Orkin's faked (or should I say "hoax") "An American Girl in
> Italy 1950".

Interesting choice of words? Faked? Hoax? Why. Did those men not behave like
that towards the woman coming past them? Certainly they did - it's there
recorded on film.

Was this "hard" journalism? Documentary? No. Does the picture represent one
reality of a young american woman travelling in Europe in the 1950? Yes.

So why hoax? Why Fake? - apart, perhaps, for an undying belief in the
statement "the camera never lies" when in fact it has done so almost since
the day the first images were fixed.

tim