Subject: [Leica] Re: Coffee Makers
From: Herbert Kanner <kanner@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 17:33:35 -0800

Tina,

I agree with the others about getting a separate mill-type grinder.
The grinders which work on the same principle as a blender, whether
stand-alone or as part of a coffee maker, produce a distribution of
particle sizes.  I have given up on grinding, living near a coffee
roasting company which will mix up my favorite blend: 2/3 Summatra
Mendehling and 1/3 Celebes Collossi (sp?).  They then grind it to my
specification, which is a so-called "gold" filter that replaces
filter paper in a Krups or Braun. True, that lets a bit of sludge
through, but not much if the grind is correct.

My Krups also died--it started leaking.  Almost by accident, I bought
a Braun to replace it.  I like the amount of automation which enables
me to set it up the night before and have it brew the coffee on a
timer. An essential feature, IMHO, which seems to go with the fancier
models, probably both Krups and Braun, is an adjustable thermostatic
control on the hot plate, so that the coffee can be kept at a
temperature of my choosing.

P.S. Your kitten picture is great.  I'm enjoying a Tonkinese that
we've had for almost a year now.

Herb
- --
Herbert Kanner