Subject: RE: [Leica] Albigensian - legates and delegates, nuncios and internuncios
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 08:56:38 -0500

Joseph,

Re. legates and delegates, nuncios and internuncios

You are almost correct, by which I mean your understanding
almost agrees with mine :-)  Let me play Marc James Small
for a moment and elaborate my arcane erudition: :-) :-)

Briefly, in the hierarchy of Papal foreign diplomacy, a Nuncio is higher
than an Internuncio; Nuncios are sent to more important countries,
internuncios to lesser ones.  Both are equivalent to the rank of ambassadors
and are accredited by the respective governments which therefore must
have diplomatic relations with the Vatican.  Both offices have diplomatic
as well as ecclesiastical powers.  Both offices have "ordinary" jurisdiction
(i.e. power of a legate, as opposed to delegate).  They usally hold
the rank of archbishops; nuncios of certain countries (Nuncios of the
"first class") are "promoted" to Cardinals after their mission.

Apostolic Delegates are not always of a diplomatic character, only
ecclesiastical one, and are usually sent to countries which do
not have diplomatic relations with the Vatican.  They are not
ambassadors.

When sent to countries with diplomatic ties to the Vatican, the title
of "envoy extraordinary" is added to that of Apostolic Delegate,
which title is recognized by the foreign goverment, and grants
diplomatic recognition and powers to the office.  Such is the case
of the Apostolic Delegation and envoy extraordinary to the United
States, which have the powers of a nunciature of the first class;
moreover, this Apostolic Delegate has always been elevated to a Cardinal
while incumbent.

My guess is that the titles of Nuncios and Internuncios are more often
applied to missions in Europe, whereas Apostolic Delegate and envoy
extraordinary is used more in the New World.

Leica connection ?  Wasn't a Leica presented to Pope John Paul II ?

Anyway ...

- - Phong

who is not a Catholic, Roman or otherwise.