Subject: [Leica] Re: language skills (WAS: Proposed visit to Solms)
From: Nathan Wajsman <n.wajsman@chello.nl>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 08:06:20 +0100

My own observation from living and working in several countries is that the
bigger the country the worse the language skills. The worst countries in terms
of foreign language skills are the US and the UK (and probably other
English-speaking countries) simply because their own language is the world's
lingua franca and they expect people in the countries they visit to speak it.
Likewise, in France and French-speaking Belgium the ability to speak other
languages is spotty, as is also the case in Spain.  I work part of my time in
Seville; out of the 25 or so people in that office, perhaps 3-4 speak good
English, and a few of the others understand it with some effort. Germany is a
bit better nowadays, particularly among the younger generation. Here in the
Netherlands, on the other hand, just about everyone speaks at least a couple of
foreign languages. But then again--this is necessary for the Dutch, the Danes,
etc. since nobody else speaks those languages.

When I was at university in Denmark, 95% of my textbooks were in English--it
simply was not economically possible to translate books like Samuelson's
"Economics" into Danish. It was automatically assumed that by the time  you got
to university you spoke and read English well enough to follow an English
textbook or a lecture in English (since professors are recruited
internationally). On the other hand, those same English and American textbooks
can be found in French, German or Spanish translations (since the market is big
enough to justify it). So even educated people in the countries in question do
not acquire the language skills that we who come from small countries simply
need to have to survive in today's world.

Nathan