Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: 2 nights in IL, USA, where?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 04:07:34 -0800

"Richard F. Man" wrote:

> If you have 2 nights to spend in (preferably not many 2 hours from North
> Shore Chicago - Wilmett/Evanston area) Illinois, where would you go?
> Assuming you don't care for Chicago itself (have done the museums etc.) and
> are into more relaxing in the woods type of things. This would be the
> weekend before New Year.
>
> Suggestions welcome! Thanks. Reply off-list if you wish.

I'll recemend the north shore of Chicago. I'm from there and have talked
about it on the LUG. I lived there from 1960 to 70 between the ages 10
and 20. I went to New Trier High School West. I'm from Northfield
exactly. Right in between Winnetka, Northbrook and Glenview. I hung
around Northwestern university in Evanston and took the L train
downtown. Go shopping in Hubberd woods or Old orchard.
Couldn't afford to live there now! I went back and visited in the last
couple of years and boy has it changed!

As soon as I left they started making films there. First John Huges
movies. Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, and Pretty in Pink.
Risky Business, Ordinary People. Home Alone! You've got it nailed by
now.

Charlten Heston, Ann Margaret, and Bruce Dern went to New Trier. Richard
Benjamin and Paula Prentiss did as well.
Lots of trees. Crime is Illegal. When I got home from School the door
was unlocked. When we went on vacations we had to find the key to the
front door to lock it. No pan handlers. Kind of idyllic. I went
everywhere including Lake Forest on my Schwinn ten speed bike which was
made nearby and I toured and met Mr. Schwinn and his son who by now is
ready to hand it over to his kids. No bike helmets. Lincoln
Continentals. There was a Sara Lee Factory warehouse which sold
defective cherry cheesecake and croissants for cheap and it was hard to
find the defects. A good place to live. Very good schools. Mayer Daly is
still there 50 years later.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com