Subject: Re: [Leica] FS: B+W brand filters (39mm)
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 16:06:58 -0800

D Khong wrote:

> Spot on, Dante! The gurus of the "no filter" theology are so hung up with
> their nakedness that they cannot see that there are circumstances and
> situations when using a filter actually produce better pictures than not.
>
> Dan K.
>
> Dante Stella wrote:
> >I just got back from Thailand, and I can tell you about the crud I was
> >scraping off my B+W filters on a daily basis - with so much diesel
> >exhaust, soot, and other crap (mostly in Bangkok), I'm glad something was
> >keeping it off my lenses.
> >
> >Dante
> >
> >On Nov 14, 2003, at 5:42 PM, Daniel Ridings wrote:
> >
> >>Filters! You're selling filters!? To put in front of that prestine Leica
> >>glass? Shame on you (or ... good going, for dumping them) :) :)
> >>
> >>You might want to provide the size (39mm for example) to get the right
> >>buyers.
> >>
> >>Daniel

><Snip>

While there are plenty of people who are not so up on the UV
"protective" filter scam the above filters are more than a sheet of thin
glass in front of a thick lens with a rock hard coating.
These filters are used for very real technical reasons and can make or
break a picture.
I've heard of people who po-po the use of ANY filter but  have never met
one on the internet or the sidewalk.
I suspect if they exist at all they are dilettantes who make snapshots
they bring in to the one hour minilab and trade stocks or write
software. They'd also be down on owning a tripod.
These are people who are really not into it enough where they have to
solve a variety of real photographic problems. They just walk down the
sidewalk and click away. Or just shoot their wife and kids. That's fine
with me but when they tell me my filters are stupid they are just
showing there own stupidity. Much as I hate to insult the nonexistent.
As Forest Gump says "Stupid is as stupid does!"
Not that that has anything to do with anything.

Mark Rabiner
Love is never having to say "your sorry."

Neutral Density 102 (4x) 0.6 AND BE THERE!

And WEAR SUN SCREEN!

Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Message from Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no> (Re: [Leica] FS: B+W brand filters (39mm))