Subject: Re: [Leica] The LEICA DIGILUX 2 is announced
From: "Jon" <jon.stanton@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 23:22:30 -0800

"Yeah, but what's a 1966 Martin worth today ? I have a'58 D-18....broke as I
was, I'm glad I spent the money when I did in 1976. Even in 1966 the Martins
sounded pretty damn good."

" Well...There definitely is something different about the Martin - in terms
of sound, in terms of long-term value, in terms of playability. That Martin
today, assuming that it was, say, a D28, would be worth probably 3-4 times
what you would have paid for it, while the Gibson would still go for less
than the Martin cost then...and the Harmony? (Loud guffaw!)..."

Both great observations! The 58 D 18 is "the" pickers guitar folks like
Norman Blake love that instrument...in 1966 the D 28's were still Brazilian
Rosewood...and as BD pointed out now easily worth 4 times the 1966 price. I
have an 82 N 20 which I love as dearly as my 1960 M3..
I feebly tried to point out that the gal in 1966 was buying on name
recognition alone..as would some people purchase the new digital camera,
regardless of the price. The girl would probably have noticed no perceptible
difference between the Gibson and the Martin as most would see no difference
between the Panasonic and Leica.