Subject: [Leica] Re: We're professionals. Do not try this at home!
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 21:18:49 -0800

Nathan:  I had a chicken sandwich.  The tarantula had a cricket or two, but
it had eaten earlier.

The keeper was moving the tarantula from one place to another, and stopped
for lunch on the way.  Its presence caused quite a stir--a number of
people, including zoo employees gathered around. The keeper enjoyed the
attention.  She asked if anyone wanted to pet the tarantula.  She said that
as long as it was well fed and handled gently, it wouldn't bite. There were
all sorts of giggles and remarks like "oh, gross" or "I'm not gonna touch
that thing!"  As you can see from the picture, one of the zoo employees did
pet it, and I got the picture.  And I pet it myself.  It felt like a big
spider with fur. :-)

At one point, she also brought this specimen out:
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/StLouis/3-14Scorpion.htm
Now *that* I was not going to touch!  Confidential to Sonny, Chris and
Tina:  It is *not* a crawdad.

Oh, by the way, both the critters were shot with a Summicron 50/2, 1/60 or
1/30 at f/2, as close as the lens could get.  Tri-X in Xtol 1:1.

- --Peter

At 03:05 PM 12/3/03 -0800, Nathan Wajsman <n.wajsman@chello.nl> queried:

Replies: Reply from Ken Wilcox <klw.51@comcast.net> ([Leica] Re: We're professionals. Do not try this at home!)