Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica users complaining of high prices?
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 08:18:30 -0700

They have no choice. The only thing they have to offer is their name.
Remember we are talking about digital cameras here not film cameras.
Digital cameras have a product life span that makes the average house
fly look ancient. There is NO way Leica could spend its usual lens
design time on a high end P&S digital lens. Heck only few companies are
breaking even in digital right now let alone making money. If Leica
wants to offer digital cameras then it has to market someone else's
with minor changes. Remember Leica's S-1? Well neither does anyone
else. They certainly didn't make any money on it. Why they had to team
up with a university to design the electronics for the M6!!

I love my Leicas but I harbor no illusions about Leica's electronic
capabilities.

John Collier