Subject: Re: Re: [Leica] Wisky warning - what's in a name.
From: n.wajsman@chello.nl
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 14:30:51 +0100

This is one of the important issues of our time ;-)

What happened was that Cardhu made a big marketing push in Spain and a couple of other markets for its single-malt whisky, which was successful beyond their wildest expectations. As a result, they realised that they would be a shortage of the stuff for the next several years, given the aging requirements. So they made a blended whisky (still all malt, but not from a single distillery) which they have been selling in exactly the same bottle, except that that "single malt" was replaced with "pure malt" on the label (price is the same too). The real single malt producers, many of which are small operations, got very concerned about a possible dilution (pun intended!) of the "single malt" moniker, and yesterday Diageo, the owner of the Cardhu brand, agreed to change the colour of the label and made it clear that Cardhu is a blended and not a single malt whisky.

A similar problem has afflicted Lagavullin, which did not bottle enough 1-litre bottles for the airport shops, and now the stuff is only obtainable in regular shops in the 750 ml size and of course at higher prices.

Nathan