Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm color vs. the tyranny of the masses
From: Jeff S <four_season_photo@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 22:20:38 -0800 (PST)

Dante,

Thanks for a thought-provoking read. My own thoughts,
both as a photographer and an investor are that:

First, I'm trying to find out who actually makes money
in the digital photography game, and it's not at all
clear to me: Paper, ink and battery-makers, maybe. But
given how many folks are finding ways around paying
Epson's "tax", by using 3rd party inks and papers, I
have to wonder how good a revenue stream that really
is. My hunch? That the real money is in software
licensing fees (hello, Adobe), and in allowing the
likes of Panasonic or Sony to put the Zeiss or Leica
name on their cameras.

Secondly, digital photography is a product of the
internet age: More than any other product before it,
it's a way of sharing a moment as it happens, with any
number of people, in any location that has an internet
hookup. In this sense, digital really is something
new, and where it all leads is anyone's guess.

Finally, I look at declining film sales, but question
whether it's entirely due to digital: How do we know
that sales wouldn't be weak right now regardless?
There haven't been any major crowd-pleasing changes in
the face of film photography since the zoom autofocus
point and shoot. We've also been in a recession for
some time now, and there are plenty of alternative
shiny toys to grab those scarce dollars right now,
like flat-panel TVs, DVD players, and the iPod, itself
an internet-age product.

My predictions: People will continue to enjoy still
photography into the indefinite future. Relevant older
technologies meanwhile may go out of fashion for
awhile, but they'll be surprisingly hard to kill. The
digital market will saturate, probably sooner than
later, and maybe it's already happening in the
consumer market where price, packaging and features
seem to be where a lot of the action is headed. I
think pixel count will become less relevant to a lot
of buyers.

Jeff

>Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 01:48:44 -0500
>From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
>Subject: [Leica] 35mm color vs. the tyranny of the
>masses
>
>Since someone brought up the subject of film's
longevity >as a medium...

>My thesis is that the longest-lived film format will
be >120 b/w, not 135.  And probably by quite a margin.