Subject: Re: [Leica] Eric/HC-110/D76/and film
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 17:46:28 -0800

Alastair,

Boy do I understand about not having time! Photo Techniques did some
comparisons between different film/developer combinations. They May
have some in stock. They used to give the publication away as a freebie
for renewing subscriptions. As a company they stink, but they did do
some useful things, and Mike Johnston was able, for a while, to bring
some very useful contributors to the magazine.

I think it was called "Advanced Darkroom Techniques." Many of their
magazines also did those kinds of comparison.

The one thing I know for sure about HC-110 is that it had beautiful
tonality with Tri-X. But the grain was huge. D-76 will give you finer,
tighter grain without the lack of sharpness that Microdol would give
alone with very small grain. The difference between Tri-X and TMax
films is that they hardened the emulsions significantly so that
variations in temperature would not have as much effect on grain as
older black and white films. My main concern is tonality.

Talking about tonality, nothing I've seen can touch Press Maxx
developer for beautiful tones with both TMY and TMX. TMX is simply
amazing with it. Any benefit from finer grain from Tech Pan film and
its special developer are lost in any reasonably-sized enlargement. I
would highly recommend buying the bottle that makes 1 gallon and giving
it a shot. It has very good shelf life. Though I never go to test that.
I would go through five gallons in less than a month. And unless you're
going to use a hypodermic, don't bother trying to mix anything short of
a gallon.

On Dec 7, 2003, at 3:37 PM, Alastair Firkin wrote:

> This interests me (still stuck in the darkroom). I've been using
> HC-110 in very dilute concentrations, and been pretty happy with the
> results, but I've not tested or done anything scientific: who has time
> ;-) I used to use D-76: are there any good works comparing the results
> of the different developers with the films that I could review? or is
> it all experience and personal preference

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier'n puttin' it back.
- - Will Rogers