Subject: RE: [Leica] On making Art - was #$@%$^ art photographers
From: "Kit McChesney" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 14:09:04 -0700

Jim--

With all due respect to you, I did not say that art had nothing to do with
emotion; I said that it had to do with more than just emotion. Of course
great art is suffused with feeling. If it weren't, it would not be what it
is. But there is plenty of stuff out there that ain't art that is also full
of feeling, too. There is much more to it than emotion and technique--which
of course I know you know and you know that I know as well--and that was
what I tried to say.

Art is too all-encompassing an idea to be encapsulated in a pat phrase.

As for the use of the word "artifice," it does indeed affect how we view
what we call "art" today. That is when the concept was born. Prior to that
time, "artists" as we understand them did not exist as we understand them
today. The idea of the artist as a solo operator, expressing himself, began
during the Renaissance. The Neoplatonists at Lorenzo de Medici's court
helped to bring this idea to the fore.

Yes, I write like an art historian because I am an art historian. My
specialty is the Italian Renaissance, namely Michelangelo. I have also
written on Van Gogh as well. I am also an artist, which came before and
after learning and writing about the history of art. Too many artists do not
know the history of art and about the long tradition of which they are a
part. Too often they are ready to reject someone who "writes like an art
historian" because they often feel that art historians don't know anything
about art. I can speak from both sides of the fence. You might not like what
I have to say, but I can still say it!

We are probably saying the same thing in the end. Art is a complex problem,
if nothing else. And not easily defined. And not often understood. Just
stand next to someone in a museum sometime who is looking at a Mondrian and
see how many people say "gosh, that'd make great wallpaper." It takes some
education to understand what an artist is doing, how his or her work fits in
an historical and social context. It's not just about pretty pictures.

Kit