Subject: Re: [Leica] The fine line between art and pornography
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 11:28:24 EST

In a message dated 12/10/03 8:40:49 PM, KCassidy@asc.upenn.edu writes:

<<
Ted Said:
>What I really feel bad about is, this is a mixed audience of ladies, >and
I'd hope some of us are still gentlemen who look upon this kind of >crap not
for mixed company. It's called respect of a lady!

i've stepped up to the plate every time i thought something sexist and
innapropriate was being said in this list, at a time when _many_ of the good
old boys on the lug thought there was nothing wrong with a little sexist
joke between friends. which might show an interesting dichotomy in
intergenerational gender propriety. some things that i view as sexist and
patently offensive, someone brought up 20 years before me might see as good
fun ribbing. and my ideas of feminism might seem bizarre in the other
direction.>>

Yes you have.   As a woman, and probably, rarely a lady, I've appreciated it.
 : )

<<that said, my message contained _two_ warning as to the content at the other
end of the links. i've enough faith in the women on the lug and persons of
all genders to make up their own minds before clicking on a link that says
"graphic sexual content". >>

Agreed.  And as a reasonably well functioning person, who still has some
control over my brain, eye, hand coordination, I can read the warnings and then
chose to navigate, or not, to the link.   It's not like anyone forced me to
participate.

<we all, as photographers, have tremendous potential power to affect the
world and the way that people view it. and i see a _lot_ of photography
every day (especially on onemodelplace.com) that i find absolutely
reprehensible and without thought. >

HEY, now you've crossed the line!  I have a (free) photographer listing on
onemodelplace, #9608.   It's how some of us artsy/fetishy/gothicky types in the
little markets are able to hook up models we might not otherwise know of.

<<... with much as some cheesecake glamour shot of a woman who got talked out
of her
clothes by someone who said he was a fashion photographer and all the girls
do it.>>

Yes, that sucks and is exploitation.  Sort of like buying clothing made by
slave labour or sending folks off to needless wars.  But that's a LUG forum
topic.

 I just wanted add, that there seems to be a rather strong anti-cheesecake,
glamour sentiment happening on the LUG and I gotta say that there is an
entirely legitimate, non-exploitive fetish/niche genre where the photos ARE
intentionally cheesecake/glamourish (think updated Bettie Page and Bunny Yeager.)  I
mean, I'm not saying that one should, god forbid use a Leica to shoot glamour
but not all of us drawn to the genre are de facto moronic beasts.....

Kim