Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Digilux 2, again
From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 07:29:38 +0000

Hi Henning,
Olympus have now updated their marketing to refer to their lenses as
"almost telecentric" rather than their previous claim about making the
rays parallel. Clearly if the rays are parallel at the sensor they are
in focus at infinity behind the camera, not on the sensor. Apparently
the digital lenses are designed with the exit pupil further away from
the sensor whereas with film cameras this dimension is of secondary
importance, such that many film camera lenses are unsuitable for
current digital cameras (such as,apparently, several M lenses). Making
the exit pupil further from the sensor reduces the maximum angle of the
rays focused on the sensor, but I have never seen a tolerance
calculated as to what is a maximum acceptable angle - which would in
any case also depend on the design and position of the anti aliasing
and colour filters.

My reasoning regarding the size and position of the rearmost element is
a bit hairy ar*ed but it goes like this:
the lens is the cheapest they can make work
small elements are cheaper than large ones
the rearmost element is the smallest that is required to achieve the
maximum speed
at full aperture the entire diameter of the rear element is used
the rays focused on the sensor have come from the whole element
including the periphery

One would need some ray tracing to work out where the maximum angles
are but they will not be 90 degrees (one could argue that 1 infinitely
small ray is at 90 deg for all parts of the image).
I am far from an expert on optics and it is easy to believe both that
the accuracy of the output of a digital sensor is likely to reduce as
the angle of the rays impinging on it increases, perhaps an angle
tolerance similar to depth of field will emerge for designers - who
knows.
I could well have got it wrong but I think the above is about right - I
did consider sitting down with Erwin Puts book and a protractor to
measure the approximate max angle at the film (sensor) surface of the
various M and R lenses to see which were the worst but I haven't had
time!
cheers
Frank