Subject: Re: [Leica] Another Equipment question
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:09:08 -0800

RUBEN BLĘDEL

> Ted, Greg, Tina
> you have probably discussed this a 100000000 times but what is all the
> fuss about sky or uv filters - I once had the front glass on my 50 mm on
> my first camera (a rollei 35 M / big ugly 35 mm slr) ruined by a small
> stone trown from a passing cars tire, since that time I have them on all
> my lenses and they never caused a problem  - I dont get it are we
> talking leica religion here - please inlighten me - Regards Ruben<<<<

Hello Ruben,
>>I dont get it are we talking leica religion here -<<<<

No we're not talking Leica religion, we're talking about experience from
using cameras and lenses, Leica that is, in my case as a published
photojournalist for 53 years and still shooting in my 75th year. Like
working that is. ;-)

I haven't had filters on Leica glass for years, actually I can't remember
the last time I had a filter on a lens for anymore than an hour when
photographing very attractive women models when I used a "softar filter" on
a 100 macro 2.8 for a little light glow effect.

The only lens that has a UV filter on it since it was purchased in March
1984 is the 280 2.8. And the only reason it's still there today is because
Leitz advised it should be used for optical correctness. Why? I haven't got
a clue. But it's there.

I've not lost a Leica front element by not having a filter on it. However, I
have had one completely destroyed with a polarizer on, and the filter did
damn little to protect the lens. It blew all the best reasons for having
filters on a lens, "protect the lens surface." Right out the window!!

Unfortunately  the lens and filter were dropped twenty feet to marble steps.
Trust me the filter didn't save anything but merely smashed to a million
pieces. Oh the lens? Destroyed it!! It was ten days old and I was on
assignment in Germany when it was dropped two days after our arrival.

However, UV filters on lenses is a personal choice, as there are as many
stories of a lens surface being saved, as there are tthose never using them
on a regular basis. My experience under various lighting conditions with
filters for the sake of having a filter on, is an error of judgement.

They give you two more surfaces to clean and they mark easily because they
are softer than the hard coated Leica glass, and if they become marked
photographer's rarely throw the filter away and buy another. Under some
lighting situations you'll have internal reflections and "light reflections
on your film." Without the filter it doesn't happen.

If you wish to see how many times over the past half dozen years this filter
question has been on the LUG, at times rather volatile, search the archives,
as some of the banter is quite interesting to say the least. ;-)

Does this answer your question " are we talking leica religion?" I suppose
you're the only one who can answer it. But no it's something some of us do
and some believe otherwise.

ted

Message from RUBEN BLĘDEL <ruben@rhodos.dk> (Re: [Leica] Another Equipment question)