Subject: [Leica] It's official: Not everyone wants to Photoshop
From: Jeff S <four_season_photo@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:06:58 -0800 (PST)

This article confirms what I've long suspected: That
George Eastman's "You push the button, we do the rest"
motto is just as relevant in the digital age as it
ever was:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581&e=2&u=/nm/20031217/tc_nm/bizretail_photos_dc

"...[Retail photo finishers] figure the growing ranks
of digital imaging converts -- particularly women --
will trust the photo shops to make quality prints of
their daughter's wedding or portraits of the new baby,
rather than spend time doing it at home themselves.

The home printing phenomenon has become big business
for companies like Hewlett-Packard Co. (NYSE:HPQ -
news) and Lexmark International Inc. (NYSE:LXK -
news), which sell the paper, ink and printers for use
at home in a "digital dark room."

But their grip could be starting to slip, now that
digital camera use is spreading to less technically
minded "average Joes," who are less inclined to spend
time fiddling with cables and buying costly ink and
paper to print at home. "

For what it's worth, I personally think that one of
the biggest joys of digital isn't the prints or even
the ease of electronic delivery, but of being able to
pass around the camera and give everyone an immediate
slide show!