Subject: RE: [Leica] 35mm neg C41 slides?
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 07:49:59 -0500

Steve,
Tina, off in Ecuador, does this for all her "good" negatives.  She has
stated frequently that it helps her file and retrieve images for her
stock business.  Also, she uses the Nikon bulk scanner for her needs.

However, I think that you will have to do your own mounting.  I guess if
you are in tight with your E-6 lab they would mount your film in the 3-5
cent range.

Mounting yourself is fairly easy especially with the Gepe mounts as they
have metal sleeves that hold the film in position.  If you have a huge
amount of film, then I suspect some of the pro labs in the Phoenix area
would cheerfully sell off their mounting equipment at very low cost as
pro's transition to digital obsoletes a lot of equipment.

The only thing lost is the coherence of a roll in a printfile to show
you the variations that you tried.  Once the "best" negatives are in a
slide mount those will live somewhere different than the outcasts.  I
have given this a lot of thought for my own use, but too often want to
try one of the variations several years later and am not organized
enough to file in such a fashion that I could go back once I have broken
up a roll.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com