Subject: Re: [Leica] Film is not dead!
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:22:49 EST

In a message dated 12/19/03 8:30:13 AM, bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:

<< And, even if I'm wrong about
that, once a camera is sold, it is "out there in the world;" that
doesn't mean it continues to be used - it may well be sitting on a
shelf, supplanted by whatever digital it's owner has purchased. >>

 My experience watching my friends shoot is that it doesn't matter whether
it's digital or film.  With film the camera only came out for special occasions.
 And then, they would only take a few shots!   So it would take 2 or 3 or 4
months to get one roll developed.  (the exception is new parents.  they shoot
everything, including the baby's first movement, second, third, etc).   Anyway
a number of my friends have moved to digital.  Faster they say.  So okay,
special occasion comes and instead of 6 shots it's now 20 but it goes like this,
"Okay everyone smile for the camera."  shot taken.  Shot reviewed. Frown. Shot
not good enough.  "Okay everyone, smile for the camera, take 2," and so on
until the crowd revolts and refuses to pose for anymore shots.  The inertia to
get the photos upload and developed is still the same.  It's like there's a
force field at the photo/digital lab that they're afraid to cross.  And I've yet
to have someone leave the party to download and print the shots (so it's not
like a polaroid) but have received some jpgs.  In the old days I might get a
copy of a print.  Now I get a jpg and gotta pay for a print myself.  Sucks.  And
I have to say, I'm very good about my cyber file system of stuff I've gotten
from other people.  I have a whole folder of shots that say stuff like
"Jeffsmkbowl" which can either refer to Jeff smoking pot or Jeff rakuing a pot.  Most
are more obscure than that.  jsp14new1a.jpg......whatever that refers to.

All I'm saying is that with my friends, their mindset isn't to document an
event the way a photographer would nor are they typically using the camera for
fine art.  A couple shots here, a couple there, film, digital, it's pretty much
the same.  The fact that they can get a digital file onto a T-shirt hasn't
really rocked their world other than one who does their own scanned artwork in
photoshop and translates that into digital output.  glicee was the hot term,
which really means what in french?  So instead of hearing them bitch about film
processing costs, I get to hear about clogged inkjet heads or the cost of
printer cartridges, etc etc.

I have to say one recent interesting development is that of the last 4
parties I've been to, several trends....1) forget digital point and shoots..at
parties (especially ones with dancing and various stages of undress) people were
shooting cell phone cameras everywhere,  2) polaroid.  retro and cool.  kinda
like party favours, used to create instant buzz and   3) disposable
cameras...lots of black and white.  Handed out to guests at the party, the idea being that
if you're not having to pay for the camera or the development costs, that
you're going to go crazy with pushing that shutter.

It must be crazy times for anyone involved in the film/imaging biz.  So many
options, so many fickle consumers going off in ways you might not have ever
imagined.

Kim