Subject: [Leica] Re:
From: sam <sam@osheaven.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:33:35 -0500

Try the lens out first; there may not be any noticeable degradation from
the defects. (Remember the defects are way out of focus.) If you note a
flare condition, paint the crack with black water-based paint like
tempera. Then test again. If the condition is gone, repaint with
permanent paint. This may sound crazy but it is not. Depending on how
deep the chip is and where it is located, it very well may cause nothing
more than refraction. The black paint will deaden this.

You cannot polish out defects and have the lens remain the same focal
length. You can, of course, replace it :)

Sam S