Subject: Re: [Leica] Cold in Canada, Cold in Natchitoches
From: "Jacques Bilinski & Barbara Bradbury" <jbilin@axionet.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 15:16:39 -0800

> >When that ferry sank in the Baltic Sea about 10 or more years back many
of
> >the survivors who survived the longest in the cold water were the ones
who
> >were highly annebriated.
>
> If the survival rate of the drunks was higher than that of the sober
passengers, I'd like to hear from some of the MDs on the list explaining the
difference in survival rates... I'd imagine that since alcohol dialates the
capillaries the drunks' heat loss would be significantly greater than the
sober survivors.

I'd be interested to know more too. From what I recall hearing in the press
at the time there were some passengers who were  fished out of the ocean
with greatly reduced body temperatures in coma like states. These are ones
where the alcohol increased the chance of survival. These were not 'normal'
cases of hypothermia where the individual is concious or semi-concious.

Replies: Reply from "Steve Barbour" <kididdoc@cox.net> (Re: [Leica] Cold in Canada, Cold in Natchitoches)