Subject: Re: [Leica] non-leica picture
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:02:34 -0800

Sonny Carter showed his eye for light again!
> A shaft of light was pouring through the front window at the grocery
yesterday, and I was ready with the Eyemod2 camera in my PDA.  (My Leica was
in my pocket though.)

> http://www.sonc.com/eyemod2_grocery.htm <<<<<<

Hi Sonny once again the old black magic..... LIGHT  does it again!!! ;-)

As important as it is to see the motivating light, it's equally important to
put it on film. And in this case you used it very well given the location
and it worked beautifully.

I just love "good light " no matter where it is, when it is, as it makes or
breaks any picture. Good light has been the driving force behind my
motivation to take pictures since I can remember. The plain old fashion
"available as you see it / find it light."

Many of you know of my disdain for using flash as it normally destroys all
motivating light / life forms. Obviously I've had to use it over the years,
but I've tried to use it in bare bulb mode or bounced off cards or ceiling
to maintain as soft a light as possible.

However, to be fair, I also recognize there are some expert photo-flash
shooters in the world, some under certain circumstances can do a set up and
make the viewer think it was available light.

I believe recognizing the effects of light and to use it well is a major
asset to producing good or great pictures. The unfortunate thing is, too
many photographers see light in a volume sense as, "is it bright enough to
make an exposure?"  And not the quality of the light illuminating the
subject making it photogenic.

I like, "Shoot from the shadowside! Watch the eyes and get the action!" And
you rarely go wrong! :-)  "Light - eyes - action!"   It's KISS simple!

And Sonny you always seem to make it simple, clean and enhancing for the
subject wherever you find it.
ted

Replies: Reply from "GeeBeePhoto" <graham@geebeephoto.com> ([Leica] leica picture)