Subject: Re: [Leica] The amazing Leicaflex SL
From: Douglas Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 14:12:05 -0800 (PST)

John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Kindermann might have one as I had mine swapped out for a SL type.
>
> John Collier
>
> On Jan 7, 2004, at 11:35 AM, Feli di Giorgio wrote:
>
>> Is the focus screen on the SL user swappable?
>> I'm going to look for a SL2 split focus type. I know they are rare, but
>> has anyone seen one around?

I'm not sure the SL and SL2 screens are fully interchangable - it has something to do with the added aperture display in the SL2.  Feli, I think you'd do well to borrow an SL2 first (or, find one at a store) to see if you really want the split-image focussing aid.  IMHO neither the split-image thingie or the coarse microprism surrounding (SL2 standard) it is big enough to be used easily, but the microprism w/o the split image (SL standard) is.  Try practicing in dim light before committing to the screen swap.  I have 2 SL2 bodies; I bought one with the all-microprism screen already installed, and I had the other changed to the all-microprism screen 'cuz the split-image focussing aid was more of a distraction than help.  BTW Leica USA no longer has any SL2 all-microprism screens, and my black SL2 has the last one Solms had.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no> (Re: [Leica] The amazing Leicaflex SL)