Subject: Re: [Leica] Digilux 2: Photos of it, with it
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:29:59 -0800

Chris:  The lens is supposed to have been designed specifically for the
camera's sensor.  It has to be some kind of retrofocus design to work
properly with current-technology sensors. The 28mm equivalent length means
the front element has to be big.  So it does look like an SLR lens.

The sensor is a 2/3 sensor, a bit bigger than the usual digicam 1/1.8, but
still much smaller than the DSLRs'.  For reference, the Olympus E-10 and
E-20 use the 2/3 sensor, as does the Sony F-717 and new F-828.  I'm glad
Leica/Panasonic used a 5 megapixel version, rather than cramming 8 mpix on
it like Sony did with the 828.  The reaction to the just-released F-828 is
decidedly mixed, with the main complaints being noise and purple
fringing.  The 5 mpix F-717 is regarded as having the best image quality of
its generation.

If Leicasonic can match F-717 quality and give a film-camera feel and
performance speed to the D2/LC1, they may have a real winner on their
hands.  At least, Panasonic will.  I don't know how many will pay an extra
$500 for a red dot.

So far, in theory, the only things I don't like about the Digilux 2 are the
price and the electronic viewfinder.  We'll see what the verdict is when
the camera is in people's hands and the images and reviews get posted.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA

 > This is the first I've seen of the digi 2, nice looking camera.  Are the
lens of the R ilk, or special > for the camera?

Replies: Reply from Marc Attinasi <attinasi@mac.com> (Re: [Leica] Digilux 2: Photos of it, with it)