Subject: Re: [Leica] Non-Leica PAW
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:39:22 -0800

Seth Rosner asked:
> Jim, Carleton University or Carleton College? My daughter went to the
> latter.<<<<

Hi Seth,
Carleton College and Carleton University was/is in Ottawa, Canada. The
confusion arises when old timers use Carleton College which it was many
years ago, but eventually changed as the college grew to university status.
One of the best, if not the best Journalism School in Canada.

I lectured there from September 1972 until 1981 in the School of Journalism
"Appreciating Photojournalism" to the 3rd year and grad division Journalism
students. Who were really learning to be writer types.

I always started off telling them the most important part of their
professional career while working with a photojournalist, was to carry the
photographer's bags! ;-) Pissed a few of them off in their early years of
understanding the realities of editorial life that "one picture is worth a
thousand words!" ;-)

I was always onto them about photographing by available light with a Leica.
;-) Unfortunately the university could only afford Pentax slr's of some
model.

I feel the best part of my time with them was teaching "how to see light"
and the world about them from the shadow side. Even today, 23 years later I
run into the an ex-student who says the main thing I taught them was, " to
see!"

I figure if they remember me for nothing else but teaching them to see, I
guess I didn't do too bad. :-)

So is this the same university your daughter went to?

ted

Replies: Reply from Seth Rosner <sethrosner@direcway.com> (Re: [Leica] Inquiry to LHSA website)
Reply from Seth Rosner <sethrosner@direcway.com> (Re: [Leica] Non-Leica PAW)
Message from Mike Durling <durling@cox.net> (Re: [Leica] Slide-cleaning question)