Subject: [Leica] LFI magazine review of CM - the minilux sudden shutter failure problem "EO2"
From: jeffwill <jeffwill@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 07:47:55 +0100

I was just reading the review of the Leica CM in the latest issue of Leica
Fotografie International. In the article (written by Erwin Puts)
he refers to the sudden shutter failure problem of the Minilux.  I know
that at least three LUG members have experienced the E02
shutter failure problem on the Minilux, myself for one, Pascal in
Benelux(?), and one other who's name eludes me.   I remember sending in
my Minilux to Solms for repair when it failed 2 months out of warranty and
do you think I could persuade them to be generous on a
warranty repair?  No luck!   But in the article on the CM it clearly
implies that the minilux sudden shutter failure problem was widespread.
SO MY POINT IS... well the next time I am going to buy a Leica camera I am
going to make sure it has more than one year of warranty,
more like the five on the R8. I may need that warranty!

The Leica CM looks like a very nice point and shoot and for me it overcomes
the main drawback of the minilux, the inability to use film
over 400ASA in summer without the risk of over-exposure. If my minilux
shutter goes again I think I'll have to get one  :-)

On the topic of camera reliability I would have to admit I have never had
any problems with a series of Japanese SLRs and Japanese point and shoots,
but my run of luck with Leica now extends to a minilux shutter replacement,
M6 meter repair, and O series shutter repair, or put in a more
statistical vain, ever Leica I own (3) has been repaired once.  And come to
think of it none of my other cameras (6 other assorted Japanese SLR
and point and shoots) have ever needed a repair and continue to function.
OK my Rollei 35 meter doesn't work but it was working before I dropped it.

SO MY CONCLUSION IS.. I am just one unlucky B and thank goodness I love
using Leica cameras. The cameras are wonderful to use, I just wish
someone else's would break rather than mine  ;-)

Kind regards to you all
Jeff the kiwi

Replies: Reply from John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] LFI magazine review of CM - the minilux sudden shutter failure problem "EO2")