Subject: [Leica] Re:Color vision
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 14:53:24 EST

In a message dated 2/1/04 10:58:46 PM, Adam writes:

<<  The human eye uses more than three types of
> color sensors - but then nature is not constrained by accountants or
production
> engineers.

Really? What are there? I thought there were (in most people) three different
sets of cones with different spectrum sensitivities and rods which are
strictly
luminance sensing.

I'm not an expert though, and I don't play one on TV.

What I have found fascinating is that we have built-in edge-detection and
sharpening, which definitely supports our pattern recognition functions.

The last time I studied this area, I recall that there were five to seven
different types of cones sensitive to various ranges of color in the human eye.
More may have been discovered recently. The idea that there are three types of
cones, each sensitive to a primary color stems from research done in the
1880s. At that time Young and Helmholtz independently attributed color vision to
the operation of three types of cones in the eye (red, green, and violet). This
conclusion was based on the finding that most colors could be matched
additively by various amounts of the three primary light sources. This theory was
seized upon by both printers and photographers since it prescribed the simplest
technique for reproducing color. The theory gained such wide currency that most
elementary physiology textbooks stated that the eye worked in this manner and
that's what most of us learned in school. Unfortunately, the tricolor theory
could not explain color vision anomalies such as red green blindness, blue
yellow blindness, or achromatism. For example red/green color blind person can see
yellow quite clearly although the trichromatic theory presupposes that yellow
is a mixture of red and green and both receptors must be working. Yellow/blue
color blindness is much rarer but produces the additional complication that
the red and green sensors are working but the resulting yellow color cannot be
distinguished from blue, although red and green can be clearly distinguished.

Despite the seductive simplicity of the tricolor approach, visual
physiologists were forced to conclude that the actual visual mechanism may be different.
Some theories proposed combination red/green sensors, yellow/blue sensors and
a luminosity sensor. (Sort of like the way your color TV signal is modulated.)
Others added additional sensors which modulated the color response of three
primary sensors. Still other theories added additional primary sensors. The
jury is still out on the exact mechanism of color sensation. One thing all modern
theories have in common, however, is that considerable image processing is
done in the eye and the brain before colors, edges, movements, and shapes are
perceived. Human vision is MUCH more complicated than we were taught in Biology
101.

All that being said, the tricolor approach to color representation has been
wholehearted adopted by technology because it provides the easiest and cheapest
method of adequately capturing and reproducing MOST colors. The three colors
chosen form a rough isosceles triangle superimposed over the color diagram
shown in most textbooks. Any color inside the triangle can be represented by
various amounts of the three chosen primaries. If you have a Mac computer, the
Color Picker extension lets you see this triangle and adjust the actual hue and
saturation of a color on the screen. But there are colors outside the triangle
which the three chosen primary colors cannot reproduce. You can get these
colors by choosing another set of primaries but then some colors that you could
specify previously are unobtainable. Preferences for the color rendition of
specific color films (Fuji vs. Kodak) are in part due to slight differences in the
manufacturer's choice and balance of primary colors. The answer to more
accurate color rendition is to use more than three primaries, perhaps four or five.
This is the answer that most high end inkjet color printers have chosen to
get around the limitations of subtractive pigments or dyes.

So we just have to live with it. As long as our color films use only three
color layers or our digital cameras use three types of color sensors, there will
be colors our eyes can see but our cameras cannot reproduce.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> ([Leica] Re:Color vision)