Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Website updated
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 19:50:09 -0800

Eric said:
Subject: [Leica] Re: Website updated

> Ted said:
>
> >Over the years I"ve slowly learned that "less is more" and you want to
leave
> >every editor "asking to see more!" Use only photographs that have the
> >editors suck in air like a passing freight train at it's impact and if on
> >web site ... IT MUST BE FAST!!!!!!!!"<<<<<<

Eric responded:
> I'm cleaning up my office and going through a lot of old negatives and
> slides.  I think I'm going to have to print your message and hang it up.
> It's just so hard to throw away the ones that would almost be keepers.
:)<<

Hi Eric,
I know you don't mean to throw them away! I hope not, unless they really are
garbage and of absolutely no value.  However, your files are the most
important part of your photographic life, because you don't know how your
career will evolve and what may look like a worthless no content photo
today, could be of your evolution ability some years down the line.

Or it could be a sample of how your seeing as a photographer evolved from
the earliest exposures to years later how you developed a new recognition in
the value of light and subject.

I unfortunately learned this too late in my photo-life and nearly all the
earliest negatives were lost over the years until those that weren't are now
safely in the National Photo Collection of the National Archives of Canada
along with the first 30 years of my assignment career.

So many young people, me included one time, do not relate to "later in life
of one's career or hobby" because that's way down the line and so what.
Unfortunately we find out too late that what may have seemed unimportant in
youth, is a major item in the evolution of our lives.

Therefore whatever negs and slides you deem worthless make sure they really
are and not something of value later. You may well find the old saying...
"if in doubt... OUT!" doesn't apply here. :-)
Good luck with the clean out.
ted

Replies: Reply from "Sonny Carter" <sonc@www.sonc.com> ([Leica] Leica] was: Website updated don't throw away!)
Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Website updated)