Subject: Re: [Leica] 400mm on a LTM camera
From: P2CON@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 22:36:51 EST

Roland, I'm afraid Ted is right about the practicality of our efforts. I'm
pretty sure that some improvement can be found in this approach. I am going to
try with 800 speed film in a Leica IIIf at 1/1000 and I have another lens combo
to try also, with a bit better glass. But, all that said, I'm very sure that
the SLR way is better, even though not as much fun.

Ted is nearing 75 and still working so has no time for such foolhardy antics.
I am nearing 73 and retired so have plenty of time and energy to play, and
lots of toys to play with.

I am encouraged to try the 200mm by itself for grab shots of the local surfer
boys and girls. I use the 135 a lot for this kind of stuff but sometimes it
comes up a bit short.

Regards, and have fun with your project.

Paul Connet

<< Roland writes:
<< Hello Paul:

<< Your results are incourageing.  You do have an impediment in that the 2X
requires a two f-stop compensation and you had to  work with the lens wide
open.

My lens, being a 400, may make it possible to stop down and with 400 ISO
film provide for a fast shutter speed of  at least 1/500.  >> << big snip>>