Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Digital M
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:21:39 -0800

On 2/9/04 6:30 AM, "LRZeitlin@aol.com" <LRZeitlin@aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 2/8/04 10:57:47 PM, Arturo writes:
>
> << Let's speculate on the price of a digital M.  I say 2X the price of an M7.
> That could make you think twice since you know the digital improvement curve
> is still quite steep.  Whereas the next major improvement to the MP/M7 is
> twenty years off, based on history. >>
>
> Well, it could be just the reverse. According to Moore's Law the price of
> digital electronics of similar specification declines by 50% every 18 months.
> If
> Leica dithers long enough, the digital Ms could be so cheap that the company
> will give them away as prizes in CrackerJack boxes.
>
> By the way, did anyone suspect that the announcement of the PLANS for digital
> M development was a red herring to mask Leica's dismal financial news and
> personnel layoffs. REMEMBER THAT THERE IS NO CAMERA! There are just plans to
> develop a digital M contingent on Leica's ability to sell 15 million Euros
> worth
> of bonds. Since many Leica stockholders are avid photographers, the proposal
> for the digital M may just have been sugar to make the bitter medicine go
> down.
>
> I hope I'm wrong.
>
> Larry Z
> --

I think when you PLAN to do something as a long established company, take
the first step to doing it, announce that you are doing it that is in more
than one way a big step.
The first step.
I'd be slow to assume it is a false or fake out.
A dodge like in Football.
After all this is Leica and we are supposed to like these people who make
are favorite cameras.
Not in so many words call them liars.
Or assume they are very likely liars.

At least they are not as is happening over here in big biz reinventing the
field of accounting into a new metaphysical Art form.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland, Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/Catagorypages/PersonalWork.html