Subject: Re: [Leica] A Favor? Totally Leica
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 07:55:23 -0800

Tina Manley asked the crew:

Hi Tina,
It was such a tough call I gave up because I could do several selections for
different portfolios in each case. But that occurs when one looks at the
photography of a talented photographer. :-)

I think what's most important here is, "what is the market you are aiming to
sell your services?" Let that be the criteria for the pictures selected. And
having had a couple of "agents" during the years the most important part in
whom that is depends on their knowledge of who to sell "your" abilities to.
That in some cases is far more important than the quality of the
photography.

It's a much easier market for an agent plugging a creative commercial
photographer from a studio than an international experienced
photojournalist, because the  PJ markets budgets are limited and most of
what's being looked for is usually wars, famines, death and destruction of
human unto human.

Your caring concerned ability to capture human kind in the manner you do
should be in demand, but only if you have a knowledgeable agent in this
particular field. So before you knock yourself out, even after the
assistance of the crew in selecting best photos, I'd want to see / hear some
hard nose results of where your work will be marketed.

Trust me there's nothing worse, nor more disappointing, than building a
portfolio of beautiful prints, and these days a CD portfolio, pinning hopes
on an agent, then discover the agent tries selling your services to the
wrong market.

I'm sure you've already looked at my suggestions, therefore I can do nothing
but wish you and agent the very best of success, because if the agent does
his/her job well, combined with your fine ability the assignment results
should be successful.
ted

Message from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (RE: [Leica] A Favor? Totally Leica)