Subject: [Leica] Digital Bessa RF
From: "Jeffery Smith" <jls@runbox.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:43:45 -0600

Here is Stephen Gandy's report from Photokina:
Holy Digital Batman,  what a surprise! No one expected this.  The new
digital Bessa was probably the most photographed camera at PMA, photog
after photog taking shots of it.  I will have a page with pics up early
next week.   It was amazing to see a early 1930's 50/2.5 Leitz Hektor
mounted on a new digital RF.  Don't think the people who put together
the display did not understand the historical significance of the 70
year old lens being used with full compatibility on their new camera.

it's for real, Epson and Cosina combined in a secret joint project to
produce the first interchangeable lens digital rangefinder ever.   I
wondered why the film cameras I was told about at last year's PMA did
not materialize when expected.  Apparently they were put aside
temporarily for the digital Bessa.   This new camera is a really big
deal, especially since RF users have been told for years such a camera
was impossible due to technical limitations of the digital sensors. Only
last week Leica announced that with improvements in technology, a
digital Leica M was about two years away.   Privately Leica estimated a
retail body price of $6000.

officially the details of the camera will not be officially released
until March 11.   my guesses and observations are:

Leica M mount
6 megapixel digital chip
APS  size sensor
electronic Copal shutter, 1 to 1/2000th, 1/125th flash sync metered
manual and aperture priority AE, counterweighted metering exposure lock
availability by summer 2004 the rear mounted LCD screen flips around to
store it out of the way, not only to save batteries, but also to make
the shooting experience as much as possible like a traditional RF
traditional PC outlet as well as hot shoe, no TTL flash traditional
screw in remote shutter release --- Mr. K apparently does not like buy
$75 remote electronic shutter releases either plus/minus 2 stops EV
compensation traditional ISO film setting in shutter dial

the digital Bessa is designed to make traditional RF users right at
home, with a minimum of computer geekdom required.  I think this was
exactly the right move.

I estimate the price much less than the Leica digital M's at $6000, but
much more than previous Voigtlander cameras.  It is even possible the
digital Bessa may be more expensive than Leica's M7 and MP.   It would
be interesting if Leica M owners had to endure kidding as the "bargain
priced rangefinder" for the first time since the Leica / Contax
competition of the 1930's.

Let me make it clear I have not handled the digital Bessa.  Epson had
the only samples locked up on display.  The mostly analog controls are a
welcomed site to me, compared to most camera computer's controls, but
your guess is as good as mine so far as exactly what each control is
for.

Being the first digital interchangeable lens RF, and probably the only
one for up to two years until the Leica Digital M arrives, this is a
very important camera, not only to Cosina Voigtlander, but to all RF
shooters.

The Epson connection comes as big a surprise as the camera. Who would
have thought Epson would be  interested in making  in a digital RF
camera?    It remains to be seen how this plays, we find out March 11.

Stephen

Replies: Reply from Aaron Sandler <aaron.sandler@duke.edu> ([Leica] Aaron's PAW Week 7)
Reply from sam <sam@osheaven.net> (Re: [Leica] Digital Bessa RF)