Subject: Re: [Leica] My newest favorite Leica
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 08:48:08 -0600

Kip

Glad to see I am not the only one with this opinion.  As far as I am
concerned, the MP shutter dial is backwards.  I have not made the finder
conversion yet as my shooting/travel schedule has not allowed that.  I hope
to send my M6TTL in late in March for the upgrade.  What was the time
required to make the change?

Gene

                      kip@mac.com
                      Sent by:                            To:       leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        cc:
                      -alto.ca.us                         Subject:  [Leica] My newest favorite Leica

                      02/14/2004 10:34 PM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

All:

I've followed the recurring thread of "this Leica model vs. that Leica
model" for over a year, and have chosen now to share my own opinion. (I
also have some extra time on my hands since I've decided not to do a
PAW for 2004!)

We must all admit that by being in this group, we're suckers for the
mystique, industrial design, and quality of Leica cameras. Because
Leica has tried so many ways through so many models to broadly appeal
to this odd group, we must also admit there is no universally "perfect"
iteration. That's what makes it so fun, really. In any event, I wanted
to explain my choice... the M6 TTL, equipped with the MP finder upgrade
(newly installed for me at Leica USA in New Jersey for $262.50). Why is
this the perfect Leica for me?

1) It retains the simple beauty of a completely manual camera that can
operate with no battery
2) When the battery works, the LED display of the meter logically
reflects the direction one needs to turn the lens aperture ring or the
(wonderfully large and comfortable!) shutter speed dial. Of course, one
of the most overstated "mystiques" of the Leica M camera is that when
moving the shutter speed dial in this logical direction, it is called
"the wrong way." Hmmph!
3) With the new MP finder optical elements installed, the view is truly
a joy, with absolutely no rangefinder patch flare. This upgrade removed
any envy I held for the MP, with all its attendant design quirks that
the M6 TTL had, in my opinion, successfully addressed.

I realize by sharing this opinion, reactions will vary from "here here"
to "that's heretical!" Again, that's what makes this group so fun. For
those who might agree with my opinion, know that the $262.50 I had to
spend to upgrade the finder was the best Leica camera choice I've ever
made.

Take care--

Kip Peterson
http://homepage.mac.com/kip/PAW_2003    (my "old" PAW page)