Subject: [Leica] Digital DOF
From: "Robert Rose" <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 06:28:54 -0800

Maybe this was covered by others (I can't keep up with all the posts).

Here is my understanding of why digital has greater DOF:

There are two reasons:
1)  You are shooting with a (for example) 50mm lens cropped to a 75mm
field of view.  Therefore, you are getting the deeper DOF of the wider
50mm lens with the apparent field of view of a longer 75mm lens.  The
effect is that of a 75mm lens with a deeper field of view.  It is
identical, however, to shooting & cropping on film.

2)  The circle of confusion in digital is smaller than in film.  This
means that even with a full frame sensor, digital should have deeper
apparent field of view.  In this regard, currently the cheaper P&S
cameras have the smallest pixel sizes (around 3 microns) and therefor
are the resolution champs, and should have the smaller circle of
confusion (assuming the lens is up to the job).

Bob Rose

Replies: Reply from John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Digital DOF)