Subject: RE: [Leica] help critique my lighting
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:54:15 -0500

Hi Eric,

Not sure what you are after, but it seems that you
were shooting from the side of the light, which you
seem to place either in front or to the subject
left side (in crop0027 and crop0028).  This is "broad lighting",
where the broad side of the face is lit (the light is on the side
of the ear that shows)

If you use "short lighting", shooting from the shadow side
as Ted would say, you will get more depth, a more 3D, but
watch out, you will also show more skin texture, which may
or may not be flattering.

Here's a somewhat extreme example:
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/PortraitOne/crw_4716-bw.htm

- - Phong