Subject: Re: [Leica] Embedded Brit journalists will receive Iraq Campaign medal
From: "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:39:15 -0700

Britain is the country which is issuing the campaign medal under
discussion. There is no "Congress" in Britain but rather a "House of
Commons" and a "House of Lords". The British Head of State is currently
"Queen Elisabeth II". She also is the Head of State for Canada and she
is the Head of the Commonwealth. She will serve until her death or until
such time as she decides to abdicate the throne. Mercenaries are paid to
fight and usually wear uniforms, not to provide logistic or other
assistance to the military. Mercenaries go back in time at least as far
the Persians.

If the British Government decides to issue a campaign medal to
civilians, including journalists, that is for they themselves to decide.
Along the same vein, if a journalist decides not to accept said medal,
that is their business (kind of like George C. Scott refusing an Academy
Award).

Regards,

Greg

Replies: Reply from Matthew Powell <mlpowell@sbcglobal.net> (Re: [Leica] Embedded Brit journalists will receive Iraq Campaign medal)