Subject: Re: [Leica] now Lost in Translation
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:26:39 -0700

The bewildered protagonists are portrayed as having purposeless roles
in their "real" lives; unnecessary, unwanted, un-loved. This was
pantomimed by the way they were also lost in the foreign culture they
had been dropped into. Rather an "On the Road to Existentialism" film
(complete with a shadow Bing and Bob). All more than a bit jarring when
painted on a foreign background.

While, in your mind,  the protagonists may not have had any redeeming
characteristics, they certainly had characteristics we are all familiar
with if not posses ourselves. Perhaps we do not WANT to identify with
the protagonists? Perhaps we reject them because we want to hide that
part of ourselves?

I am not arguing you should have liked the film but with your assertion
it was not well realized. I think it was.

John Collier

Message from Matthew Powell <mlpowell@sbcglobal.net> (Re: [Leica] now Lost in Translation)