Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: It's so easy..
From: Peter Dzwig <pdzwig@summaventures.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:15:57 +0000

Hi Phong,

No, I have been using it with PS+HP+ Ilford + a bit of patience. The negs were
scanned in using a professional (and brand new) Konica Minolta scanner (not
mine). The patience (aka fiddling) makes it more wet room-like. The great
advantage being that once you've got a print that you like you can write it to
CD and there it is, in effect for keeps.

BTW last summer (May) Pop Photo in th UK did a test of several papers and these
were the results:

Olmec Super Gloss Heavy (300g) 94%
KOdak Ultima Picture Paper (270g) 91%
TDK Professional Photo paper Glossy (270g) 90%
Fuji Multijet Premium Glossy (270g) 92%
Paterson Exhibition Gloss (270 g) 91% - duller finish than most
MX2 Professional Photo Paper (270g) 93%

Images were scanned on a Coolscan 4000 and a step wedge and gradient added.
Image saved as an RGB file with saturation level 0.

Incidentally the same issue was praising PermaJet VT Blax and almost any Epson.

For comparison the Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl is 280g - and wasn't in the
test...I got to that because I like Ilford and I had reject several others. FWIW
I wouldn't touch the HP paper.

Hope that this is of some help to you - and anyone else reading it.

Peter