Subject: [Leica] Re: A Grudging Concession to Digital...(digest V26 #229)
From: "Michael E. Berube" <MEB@GoodPhotos.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:17:11 -0500

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 05:30:27 -0800 (PST), BD quoth unto the boundless Ether...
>The black and white, inks v. silver question, Marc, is one that will
>never be satisfactorily answered.

To muddy the difference further....I've just agreed to go into an experiment with the best custom pro-lab here in Portland  (http://www.PhotographicTraditions.com) to have them print one of my 6MP digital images using a  traditional 'alternative' Palladium print process. I'll work an image from my D100 to a B&W version of my liking in Photoshop and take the TIFF to Dave. He'll apply further curves and levels adjustments that are useful for his process, he will make a halftone from the file and print a true Palladium Print of the image in his darkroom.

Kind of a 180deg switch from the normal "start with film end up with an inkjet print" hybrid process. All the convenience and control at the onset of the process where I want it and will provide a more archival and traditional end product.

I'll let you all know how it works out.

I was also having an interesting conversation with a co-conspiritor this morning about the new Carbon Based 'inks/pigments' and how archival and stable the most common element in the Universe is. (Arguably equally as stable as the silver and other metals used in traditional darkrooms.) It will soon have come round robin that our images will last as long as whatever substrate that we have them on.

Carpe Luminem,
Michael Eric Berube
GoodPhotos.com