Subject: [Leica] A few of my favorite things- 6
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:23:10 -0700

For all you people who worry about the first scratch Tina Manley wrote:

	I probably should not tell you guys what my Leicas have been through,
just in case I ever decide to sell them on the LUG  :-)
I dropped an M6 with 35/1.4 lens out of a canoe in the Patuca River in
Honduras.  The quick-thinking boatman managed to snag the strap with
the handle of his oar and fish it back out.  That night, I opened up
the back and let the camera dry out.  It worked fine for the rest of
the trip, but I sent it back to Leica for CLA when I returned.  I
didn't send the lens in but it seems fine.
	After Hurricane Mitch, I was wading in mud up to my knees when a
different M6 slid off of my shoulder and sank in the mud.  I found it,
washed it when I got to clear water and dried it out.  Used it the rest
of that trip.  On that same trip, the vibrations on the rough roads
loosened the screws on the mount for my Noctilux and it fell off of the
camera, luckily landing in soft mud.  I even managed to find all of the
screws and the Noctilux was fine.
	The most damage occured when I was watching the Super Bowl in a bar in
Charleston, SC.  My husband managed to hook his foot in the strap of my
M6 which was sitting on the bar.  The camera was flung forcefully to
the floor and landed on my brand new 24 ASPH lens.  The camera is fine
but the focusing ring on the lens is now very tight.  I thought it
might loosen up as I used it, but I believe I'm going to have to send
it in.
	I think you could describe my Leicas as "users."  When I used to carry
a Minolta Maxuum as my SLR, it would quit working if it got a few drops
of rain on it!