Subject: RE: [Leica] fs: 2-29-04 digilux2 and more
From: "Leonard J Kapner" <ljkapner@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 11:14:59 -0800

Greg,

FWIW you can have my rough, initial impressions. I picked up my D2 yesterday
and have shot a few photos with it, after having read the manual several
times last night. Key points that have emerged so far:

1. The "feel" in use is more like an R than an M, probably because of the
way the zoom lens is configured. I love being able to set aperture, focal
length and focus point conventionally.

2. The form factor is M all the way, excepting the size of the lens; the
camera is not "light" as some have suggested

3. Both the EVF/LCD viewfinder displays are brilliant and easy to use, but
the expanding focus patch is a bit difficult to get used to. I'm sure I
will, though. It works well in well-lit situations, but in dim light...
well, no worse than a conventional M6/M7. No patch flair!

4. D2 uses same batteries and cards as D1, which I have. Good news that, but
batteries are not as long-lived as those for my Canon G5.

5. Early results show a very good image quality, with about the same noise
levels as the D1, maybe a little less.

I will be out and about today with the D2 on a sunny winter day in L.A., so
I'll post some work next week for those who may be interested.

Net? I'm very impressed with the D2; it's a camera with computer assist, not
a computer with an auxiliary lens, like most non-pro digital solutions up
'til now. I suspect it will affect how camera designers configure future
generations of their digital cameras, and that could be a very good thing.

Len

- --