Subject: [Leica] Buyer beware: follow up open letter
From: Mark Theken <marktheken@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 17:12:09 -0800 (PST)

Dear Xxxxxxx:
It is disappointing that I have not received any
response from you following my numerous attempts to
bring resolution to my request for a refund for our
recent transaction.  Even my request for a sales
receipt has not been acknowledged by you.
My email message to you this morning was returned
undelivered.  It is very difficult to understand why
an honest person acting in good faith would suddenly
close an email account and effectively eliminate that
avenue for communication.  The only remaining option
is to once again use the LUG as a bulletin board to
send a message you.
As you know, I contacted you within 24 hours of
receiving the camera and expressed my concern that the
condition of the camera was possibly not original and
as represented.  You offered several explanations in
your email message to me that followed.  Based upon
your long term association and reputation with the
LUG, I requested that you provide documentation of the
independent verification you cited in your earlier
email message to me.
In the delayed email message that followed,
<<from your message:  "Sorry for the long delay in
responding. I had several significant computer
problems since Sunday">>
you admitted that you had nothing in writing and the
only verification of authenticity was in a past
telephone conversation with an unnamed person.  After
being delayed for several days due to your computer
problems, I began my attempt to seek independent
confirmation of the information you published in your
original LUG post which follows:
<<"Black Leica M3 #993xxx,
guaranteed Wetzlar factory paint, $$$$
Please contact me directly for price and details.
Serious inquiries only".>>
At my request, 3 expert collectors and dealers
examined this camera alongside 2 known original black
paint M3 cameras and verified my suspicion that the M3
camera I purchased from you was not a original factory
production camera as described in your FS listing.
They also indicated that the differences would be
difficult to ascertain by even the most knowledgeable
Leica experts.
It is my feeling that you made an unfortunate error in
your LUG FS listing.  I also my feeling it is in your
best interest to resolve the problem that resulted
immediately.  Members of both the LUG and the LHSA
have offered to intercede on your behalf.  I am
hopeful you will choose to resolve this matter in a
way that any member of the Leica community would
expect of you.
Sincerely,
Mark Theken