Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Ambient light + Strobe metering question
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 00:45:42 -0800

On 3/3/04 7:00 PM, "eric" <leica_korenman@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> What meter do you have?  Odds are good that somebody here might have
>> hands-on experience your particular model.
>
> I'm using a sekonic digilite fl-328.
> Maybe I've got it wrong - I thought that when I measure the flash (via
> synchro cord), that the meter is measuring both ambient and flash output. I
> assumed this as I get different f stop reading depending on what the shutter
> speed entered into the meter.
>
> Eric
> --
My guess is the ambient reading when you take a flash reading is indicated
by the "analog" bar at the bottom. The analog f stop is darker there or had
a dot on it. Your flash exposure f stop of course is indicated by the big
digital number at the upper main area. This ALSO probably is indicated by
the analog  bar at the bottom so you have two indications on that bar. And
the difference between them is plainly evident. If you want that gap to
change you twirl the f stops.

You are aware that when you take a flash reading you set the flash meter
first for what f stop you are using? Even at low ambient light levels moving
4 stops of shutter speed might give you a quarter of a stop density change
on your main subject from your flash. So take the flash reading at the f
stop you plan on using for the most accurate result.

If you want f5.6 set the camera at f 5.6 then take a reading.
If the reading says f8 then dial it down a stop to make it then read 5.6 if
it dials down..
Or bring it further away.
Or use more layers of fiberglass mesh.
Or change the reflector from a silver to white one.
    or normal to wide one.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland, Oregon