Subject: [Leica] Re: High Digilux 2 price
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 17:32:33 EST

In a message dated 3/4/04 2:05:30 AM, owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
writes:

<< I bought my wife the C-5060 for Christmas.  She loves it.  I'm impressed
for
a point & shoot digital.  Lots of nice features.  It was $600.  That doesn't
bode well for either Panasonic or Leica if the $600 camera comes out
slightly ahead over something 2-3x its price.

Years ago one of my graduate students did a doctoral dissertation titled
"Price as a Surrogate Cue to Quality." The crux of the dissertation was that for
many products, quality cannot be discerned by normal observation so the average
buyer falls back on price as the best cue. The hope is that "you get what you
pay for." Astute marketers have long known that the best way to sell prestige
items is to raise the price well above that of competitive products is the
hope that this will convince the buyer that their item is better. Economists
call this "negative price elasticity." This approach is often used for cosmetics,
i.e. "It costs more but I'm worth it."; automobiles, i.e "show them that
you've arrived" (in a Cadillac); art works; and, of course, cameras.

Interestingly, one of the documented research findings was that the more
personally insecure the buyer, the more likely he or she is to believe the hype.

Larry Z