Subject: RE: [Leica] PAW 10 dlridings
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 10:47:35 +0100 (MET)

Thanks Gerry and Michiel. I'm flattered.

Jeffery,

I've used Xtol for both. For the Neopan shots it's usually 1:2 according
to the times on Kodak's data sheets (10 minutes, I think at 68/20
degrees). I used to go with 1:3 but I don't anymore. No big reason. I just
don't.

There are no published times for the new Agfa and Xtol. I started with my
times for the former generation of APX 400 but they were a little too
short. I've settled on Xtol 1:1 13.5 minutes at 68/20 degrees. I've only
recently gone back to EI 400 after a dark winter, so I haven't been able
to confirm my times under a range of lighting conditions, but it seems
like I'll be sticking to this. I usually prefer Xtol more diluted, but in
this case I'm not interested in longer times. That ... and the fact that
1:1 at these times seems to be working just fine. I'll stick with it.

There is still old stock APX 400 on some shelves. The new generation can
be recognized by the green square that "400" is printed in on the box. I
haven't noticed any difference in the behaviour of the film, just the
developing times and that's what Agfa says too.

Hope this helps. I suspect my agitation has as much to do with the results
as anything. It's vigorous. Fill the tank with reels but with film on only
half of the (the bottom half). Just enough liquid to cover the reels with
film. Agitate by inverting. The used developer drains off onto the empty
reels and then the film gets covered again with fresh developer. I was
having problems with uneven development with 120 film until I went over to
this method. I haven't had a problem since. Kodak recommends vigorous
agitation.

I hope Xtol never fails on me. I really, really like it.

Daniel