Subject: Re: [Leica] Helping Hands
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:47:24 -0500

At 10:13 PM 3/12/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm amazed at the seeming invisibility of the photographer in the photos,
>compared to the feeling I get sometimes when pointing the camera. I feel
>like those old-time amateur super 8 filmers with the giant flood-lights (and
>no, I'm not using flash). How do you put yourself in that invisible,
>non-intruding mode?
>
>Thanks for posting these...they're wonderful and inspiring on many levels.
>
>jm

Thanks, Jim.  I have visited this center every year for about 15 years so I
know some of the people who have been there for years.  That helps.  I'm a
quiet, shy person and never call attention to myself or what I'm
doing.  That helps.  I don't use flash or direct people in any way.  That
helps.  I guess it's a combination of everything, but being willing to stay
in the background and wait for something to happen is probably the most
important advice I could give.  I wait until there is some other activity
going on before I move to another location.  I only spend about 4 hours at
this center every year and am sure I could get better photos if I had more
time, but there are only so many hours in a year!  If you have unlimited
access to the place where your father volunteers, spend as much time as
possible there, until people get used to you and forget that you are taking
photographs.  Good luck and I'd love to see the photos when you take them.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com